You can follow me on Twitter at @grouppolicyguy
Forums & Websites
To start with, there is my gptalk mailing list, which is a group dedicated to Group Policy questions and solutions.
Read and comment on topics related to Group Policy and SDM Software
Jeremy Moskowitz, author of the popular GP book, maintains an excellent Group Policy community forum at his website www.gpanswers.com. Jeremy also provides Group Policy training classes for folks who want to learn more about Group Policy from an expert in person. Check it out!
An excellent GP resource site from fellow Group Policy MVP Alan Burchill
Mark Heitbrink’s excellent German Group Policy site http://www.grurili.de/
Another good resource for help on GPOs, and pretty much everything else related to Windows, is Mark Minasi’s Forum. There’s a forum group on that site specifically focused on Group Policy, which I moderate on, found here.
Good topics around Group Policy from the Microsoft GP Product Team!
Third Party Tools
SDM Software, our commercial product company, provides a whole suite of tools for better managing Group Policy. These include:
- Group Policy Change Auditing & Attestation (GPAA): Provides for real-time Group Policy Auditing, rollback and the ability to attest ownership of GPOs on a periodic basis.
- GPO Compare: Powerful tool for reporting on inconsistencies and differences between up to 4 GPOs, including both live and GPO backups. Supports Win7 and all new settings!
- GPO Exporter: Provides a quick and powerful way to document, analyze and report on all your GPO settings, and includes the ability to search, sort, export to CSV, Excel or PDF and powerful reporting tools to help with GPO consolidation and cleanup.
- GPO Reporting Pak: Combines GPO Compare and GPO Exporter into a single bundle.
- GPexpert(r) Group Policy Automation Engine: The only product on the market that lets you automate changes and audits of Group Policy Settings, using PowerShell or .Net.
- Group Policy Freeware: A variety of free tools for managing Group Policy.
Check out the GP products from the Swedish company Special Operations Software. They have a couple of interesting GP-related products, including SpecOpsDeploy, which extends what you can do with GP-based software installation, and SpecOps Password Policy, which lets you set different password policies within a single AD domain.
Jeremy Moskowitz’s PolicyPak software are Group Policy extensions that let you policy-enable policy applications that don’t come policy-enabled, like WinZip, Adobe Reader, etc.